Physical Therapy For Colonie,
Schenectady & Albany, NY
Our physical therapy department is the perfect place to get your health and function back after an injury or surgery. Our experienced therapists use the latest technologies and functional, evidence-based therapy techniques to return you to the lifestyle you deserve.
What Are the Benefits of Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is beneficial for people of all ages who suffer from medical conditions, injuries, or illnesses that inhibit or limit their regular ability to move and function. A customized physical therapy program can help you return to your normal level of functioning and help to prevent further injury down the line. For chronic conditions, a physical therapist can help you manage your pain, keep your muscles fit, and maximize your range of motion.
What are the biggest benefits of visiting a physical therapist?
- Reduction or Elimination of Pain: Therapeutic exercises and manual therapy techniques can often help relieve pain; they also help restore joint and muscle function to reduce pain and prevent it from returning.
- Avoid Surgery: In some cases, undergoing physical therapy can eliminate your need for surgery after an injury. Even if surgery is required, pre-surgery physical therapy can still help you.
- Improve Mobility: Physical therapy helps many patients who have trouble standing, walking, or moving. This is accomplished through stretching and strengthening exercises. We will work with your individual needs to customize a care plan for you.
- Recovery: Physical therapists make a huge difference in patients who are recovering from strokes or injuries, often restoring motor function and movement.
- Improve Your Balance: If you are determined to be a fall risk, we will provide exercises that safely and carefully challenge your balance in order to improve your coordination and prevent falls in the future.
- Manage Issues Created by Age: If you've developed arthritis or osteoporosis, or if you need a joint replacement, a physical therapist can help you manage and recover.
- Manage Chronic Conditions: If you suffer from diabetes, a vascular condition, or heart or lung disease, physical therapy can help you strengthen the necessary systems and manage your symptoms.
- Women's Health Benefits: Women have specific health concerns relating to pregnancy and postpartum care. Undergoing PT can help manage and prevent many of the issues that women in these situations experience.
What Can You Expect From Your First Physical Therapy Appointment?
On your first physical therapy visit, a consultation and examination will be performed. This helps us to better understand your history and condition, and to establish a starting point for therapy. After the examination and review of medical records, an individually customized treatment plan will be developed by your therapist. Your treatment plan will be based on your functional level, pain intensity, strength, lifestyle, and most importantly your goals as discussed with your treating therapist. Our goal is not only to eliminate your pain, but to restore your function and improve your lifestyle. We encourage all of our patients to continue with home exercises and general fitness when their formal physical therapy is complete.
For more acute conditions, our therapists use passive modalities (ultrasound, electric stimulation, hot/ice packs) to reduce pain and inflammation. As tolerated, your therapist will use manual therapy techniques (passive stretching, joint mobilization, myofascial release) to restore joints and muscle tissue to a healthier, more flexible state. As patients progress, they are instructed in an active rehabilitation program to strengthen weakened muscles, and to improve endurance, coordination, and balance. This is crucial in order to return to sports, work, hobbies, and other activities of daily living.
Contact Our Physical Therapists Today!
Whatever your condition, we will be sure that your experience at our clinic is a positive one. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to speak one of our therapists. Contact us today!